The party explored Umbraforge and gathered information about Sarshan’s activities. What they learned included:
- This is Umbraforge, dominion of Sarshan, a trader of great reputation and even greater wealth. The tower, foundry, and forges are his. The camps are those of the mercenaries and slaves whose services he sells across the Shadowfell and the world.
- Sarshan is shadar-kai, an outcast who made a name for himself as the leader of a legendary
mercenary band known as the Black Arrow. At their height, the Arrow put so much fear in generals and kings alike that Sarshan would take payment to fight for one group, then take a bigger payment from their foe to stand down.
- Modra is known well in Umbraforge, but for all the wrong reasons now. She was one of Sarshan’s trusted lieutenants before she tried to a broker a weapons deal that Sarshan had already turned down.
- The job that Sarshan refused was some orc king’s raid on a dwarven citadel. Sarshan never makes a sale if it has a chance of coming back to him, and for good reason. This job went bad, they say, and people know that Modra sold the orc his weapons.
- Modra is long gone from Umbraforge and the Shadowfell, believe me. Sarshan’s got a long arm and a longer memory. The creeper would have to be crazy to come back here.
- The foundry is the new jewel of Sarshan’s operations. Its power comes from the fire and
shadow driving its furnaces. Sarshan’s sages create beasts of battle there, born killers with magic in their blood.
- It used to be that Sarshan brokered mercenaries mostly within the Shadowfell, but that’s
changing. Dark ones and shadar-kai are still his elite troops, but more and more, he brings
creatures from the world to Umbraforge for training, then marches them off to places unknown.
- The Shadowfell is only a stopping-off place for Sarshan’s mercenaries. A force of archons from
the Elemental Chaos was here not six ago. I saw githzerai from the Astral Sea in Umbraforge
once. I don’t know what job they took for Sarshan, but woe be to whoever got in their way.
- Sarshan’s mercenary operations have tripled in size in months past, but it’s not the Shadowfell
they’re fighting in. When his forces are bought and sent on the march, they’re bound for portals to the world. Shadar-kai, dark ones, undead, giants, ogres, trolls, gnolls, orcs— Sarshan has the armies of two planes on the march. War is brewing in the world, but the forces that will fight it are moving into position in the Shadowfell, unseen.
While exploring the markets, the party was offered 480 GP for two fire bats carcasses.
While checking out the training grounds, the party had a training combat with some ogres and a beetle. Dorlon received a Horned Helm as a prize after the fight. The party also got an Augmenting Whetstone and Silver Sand.
After their exploration of Umbraforge, the party was approached by Leena who said Modra is planning to attack the foundry and tower in the morning using the departure of a large group of mercenaries as cover. Modra plans to vent the power of the foundry through a tunnel that connects to the tower. She then gave the party a ritual scroll with the Shadow Passage ritual.